Founded in 2009, the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (“NICA”) develops interscholastic mountain biking programs for student-athletes across the United States. NICA provides leadership, services and governance for regional leagues to produce quality mountain bike events, and supports every student-athlete in the development of strong body, strong mind and strong character through interscholastic cycling.
NICA sees a future where every American youth has the opportunity to build strong body, mind and character through interscholastic cycling. To this end, NICA will continue to work diligently to:
- Promote athlete skills development, excellence, teamwork, professionalism and respect for the community and the environment;
- Promote the sport of mountain biking and the benefits of mountain biking as a healthy, low impact, outdoor recreational lifestyle;
- Provide national leadership and governance through comprehensive policies, rules and guidelines to establish fair rules of play and codes of conduct;
- Provide comprehensive Coaches Training and Licensing program to establish and maintain national standards and best practices;
- Provide comprehensive risk management guidelines for mountain bike programming to establish and maintain national standards and best practices;
- Provide technical assistance and support for League formation, team formation, races, camps and special events;
- Provide successful models of League development, sustainable fiscal growth, and corporate and individual donor development; and
- Advocate for the environmental conservation of natural areas and parklands, mountain bike trail access, and the development of sustainable trail systems.